6 Tips to Help Your Digestion
- Start the morning with hot lemon water/tea. If you struggle with plain water, have this as it helps re-hydrate (as does plain water) you which with the Christmas booze is very important, gets the bowels moving, and is a good source of vitamin C!
- Leave at least 12 hours overnight with no food and no liquids other than water. 14 hours if you can. This allows the liver to do its thing, hunger hormones to re-set, and helps balance out your blood sugar levels.
- Try to have some bitter greens before bigger meals – rocket, chicory, endive, and watercress. Having these and taking time to really chew them before swallowing really helps reduce heartburn and indigestion. The reason is that ‘bitters’ stimulate the stomach acid, the pancreas to release digestive enzymes, and the liver to release bile which all make the digestion process work!
- Back to water – really stay hydrated as if you get dehydrated you will be constipated, and you really want to avoid that. Your urine should be pale straw colour by mid-morning and stay that way. If it’s darker, drink more water, if it’s clear, drink less.
- Take time to chew properly! Slow down and enjoy your food. This will help reduce bloating, indigestion, and generally feeling uncomfortable.
- It can also help to take a few deep breathes when you sit down before you pick up your knife and fork to activate the rest and digest nervous system.